Strawberry and Asparagus Salad Recipe
We've had several requests for the recipe for our fabulous strawberry and asparagus salad - so here it is, a great summer salad, perfect for Christmas lunch or something you can quickly throw together at the bach.
Salad (use the ingredients in any proportion you like)
- Salad greens (we use a mesclun mix, but any fresh greens are nice)
- Strawberries, stems removed, slice in halves or quarters depending on size
- Asparagus, snap off the woody ends, blanch in hot water, allow to cool (you could even do these on the bbq if you like)
- Sugar snap peas, (raw and) chopped
Mix those main ingredients or layer on a platter, then add:
- Feta cheese, crumbled over the top
- Sunflower and/or sesame seeds, lightly toasted (again, you could do this on the bbq - just wipe the hot plate dry with a paper towel so the seeds don't get too oily)
Red Wine Vinaigrette
Adjust the quantities if necessary, this should make enough for a several big salads - you can mix the dressing with the main ingredients, drizzle it over the top, or just serve it on the side
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic (1-2 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground if possible)
- 1 cup oil
You can blend this all together in the food processor, or just put it all in a big jar and give it a good old shake. It will naturally separate, so shake it up before you use it.
(store in a cupboard, not the fridge, as the oil will go gluggy)
Now open a nice bottle of chilled rosé and enjoy!